2023/24 Sports Ethos NBA Roto & H2H Champions Leagues - Proposal

10 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
(@roto-guru)
Topic starter

Hey fellow Sports Ethos / Hoop Ball-er enthusiasts,

Long time listener, first time poster.

With the end of another Fantasy NBA season now upon us, I would like to get on the front foot for next season and propose an idea for an "English Football League system" format for the NBA Sports Ethos Roto and H2H 'listener' leagues.

Why?
As it currently stands, each year us common folk join a random Sports Ethos Fantrax league with up to 11 other strangers of varying skill/dedication levels, enjoy the season for 6 months, then abruptly end without so much as goodbye. By proposing a format that follows the tiered English Football style, we could create a competition that at a macro level creates stronger community engagement through continuity from season to season, and at a micro level better aligns managers of a similar skill level and incentivises teams at the bottom of the ladder to play out the season to avoid relegation. For a recently re-branded company like Sports Ethos who no doubt wants to continue growing it's customer/listener base, this format would almost certainly reduce the attrition rate of existing managers from year to year.

What?
Most of you will know the English Football system well, but it essentially involves creating a 'pyramid' of leagues linked by the simple principle of promotion and relegation. At the end of each season the top 3 teams are promoted to league above, and the bottom 3 teams are relegated to the league below. The biggest challenge to this system would likely be retaining every single manager each year (similar to dynasty leagues). However, this could be mitigated by either promoting an additional team from the league below, or adjusting the league size the following year to ensure continuity (i.e reduce the number of teams from 14 to 12 etc.). Obviously all aspects of this would need to be governed by Sports Ethos.

How?
I'm open to all suggestions/feedback, but the premise for the first year could be as follows:

1) The Champions Leagues (Roto & H2H) are created with initial invitations sent to returning Sports Ethos champions from the most recent season, and thus they get first right of refusal. Then to runners-up, then 3rd place and so on, until all places have been filled. According to @andmlemos draft results thread back in October 2022, there were at least 14 NBA H2H leagues (10 paid) and 8 Roto leagues (6 paid) this season, so that's a lot of talent out there in the ethos-phere that we could unite. I know there are a number of managers out there looking for a higher-stakes league to join, so you could potentially increase the cash entry amount as well for the top tier leagues depending on manager consensus.

2) At the end of the season, the bottom 3 teams in the Roto and H2H Champions leagues would be relegated to the league below, and the top 3 teams from the league below would be promoted, and so on.

3) Open invitations are given to NBA Fantasy guru's Dan Besbris @dbesbris and Aaron Bruski @aaronbruski to participate in and promote the Inaugural Roto and H2H Champions Leagues. We hear about the industry-expert leagues each year on the pod, but almost zero when it comes to the listener leagues - the lifeblood on which Sports Ethos builds it's success on. It's only fitting that Dan and Aaron could compete alongside their own listeners, and this would also provide a way for the community to finally have a chance to compete against the best. Dan, it would also be nice to see your platform on the pod recognise listeners' performances occasionally, and what better way than this!

4) It would be important to continue maintaining the free-entry casual leagues that current exist also, there will always be demand for these. These could potentially sit outside the promotion/relegation leagues outlined above, and remain as they currently do. Depending on league sizes and numbers next season, managers who had a podium finish in the free leagues this season could also be invited into the cash league promo/relegation leagues.

5) As an example of how the initial league entrants could be decided, invites for the highest 2 leagues in Roto and H2H formats for next season would be something like:

2023/24 Ethos NBA Roto Champions League

#1. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 1 - 1st place
#2. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 2 - 1st place
#3. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 3 - 1st place
#4. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 4 - 1st place
#5. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 5 - 1st place
#6. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 6 - 1st place
#7. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 1 - 2nd place
#8. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 2 - 2nd place
#9. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 3 - 2nd place
#10. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 4 - 2nd place
#11. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 5 - 2nd place
#12. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 6 - 2nd place
#13. Dan Besbris - Inaugural invitation
#14. Aaron Bruski - Inaugural invitation

2023/24 Ethos NBA Roto League 1

#1. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 1 - 3rd place
#2. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 2 - 3rd place
#3. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 3 - 3rd place
#4. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 4 - 3rd place
#5. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 5 - 3rd place
#6. 22/23 Ethos Roto Cash 6 - 3rd place
#7. 22/23 Ethos Roto Free 1 - 1st place
#8. 22/23 Ethos Roto Free 2 - 1st place
#9. 22/23 Ethos Roto Free 1 - 2nd place
#10. 22/23 Ethos Roto Free 2 - 2nd place
#11. 22/23 Ethos Roto Free 1 - 3rd place
#12. 22/23 Ethos Roto Free 2 - 3rd place

Note the number of teams for each league are based on how many leagues there were this year just for simplicity. Additional leagues would be created beneath this Roto structure based on the number of entrants. League 2, League 3, League 4 etc.

2023/24 Ethos NBA H2H Champions League

#1. 22/23 Ethos H2H Cash daily 1 - 1st place
#2. 22/23 Ethos H2H Cash daily 2 - 1st place
#3. 22/23 Ethos H2H Cash daily 3 - 1st place
#4. 22/23 Ethos H2H Cash daily 4 - 1st place
#5. 22/23 Ethos H2H Cash daily 5 - 1st place
#6. 22/23 Ethos H2H Cash daily 6 - 1st place
#7. 22/23 Ethos H2H Cash daily 7 - 1st place
#8. 22/23 Ethos H2H Cash daily 8 - 1st place
#9. 22/23 Ethos H2H Cash daily 9 - 1st place
#10. 22/23 Ethos H2H Cash daily 10 - 1st place
#11. Dan Besbris - Inaugural invitation
#12. Aaron Bruski - Inaugural invitation

2023/24 Ethos NBA H2H League 1

#1. Ethos H2H Cash daily 1 - 2nd place
#2. Ethos H2H Cash daily 2 - 2nd place
#3. Ethos H2H Cash daily 3 - 2nd place
#4. Ethos H2H Cash daily 4 - 2nd place
#5. Ethos H2H Cash daily 5 - 2nd place
#6. Ethos H2H Cash daily 6 - 2nd place
#7. Ethos H2H Cash daily 7 - 2nd place
#8. Ethos H2H Cash daily 8 - 2nd place
#9. Ethos H2H Cash daily 9 - 2nd place
#10. Ethos H2H Cash daily 10 - 2nd place
#11. Ethos H2H Free daily 1 - 1st place
#12. Ethos H2H Free daily 2 -1st place
#13. Ethos H2H Free daily 3 - 1st place
#14. Ethos H2H Free daily 4 - 1st place

Additional leagues would also be created beneath this H2H structure based on number of entrants. League 2, League 3, League 4 etc.

So What?
Obviously there's a number of ways this format could work, and this is just an example. But you get my drift.

The NBA Fantasy offseason is long and cold, so there's plenty of time to work something out if there's enough interest. Dan, you are a vocal and respected leader in the Fantasy NBA community and keep a close eye on these forums, so I would encourage you to champion something like this for next season if there's genuine interest from the community. I'm sure many folks out there would love the opportunity to test their mettle against you and Bruski, so even if something like the above proposal doesn't garner any interest, take up the challenge to join a league with the returning Sports Ethos league champions from this season at the very least - especially in Roto!

@andmlemos you are the engine that drives much of the work behind the scenes for all the leagues (and then some), so having you on board would be imperative!

At the end of the day this is a community, and we all share a common love for the game. There's an opportunity here to create something bigger and better that enables us to feel more connected, and part of something.

Thanks for listening.

Posted : 14/04/2023 8:46 am
andmlemos
(@andmlemos)

Hey! Thank you for the feedback, I really love and appreciate the commitment and time you invested here. 

Ideas like this one are being explored and as the leagues grow you will see them starting to be implemented at several levels. The goal is to keep making the leagues enticing and highly competitive while giving a chance to all of our listeners, followers, subscribers and pros to have a place where they can compete and enjoy fantasy at the highest level. 

We will certainly take this idea and variations of this idea into consideration, and I am happy to hear all kinds of feedback and ideas! 

Posted : 14/04/2023 9:02 am
(@dbesbris)

GOOD ISH HERE FRIENDS. I know Andre has been working on some similar ideas. We might need some more time to implement or at least let folks know before a season begins how things are going but know we're kicking these ideas around now that we have a large number of leagues going.

Posted : 14/04/2023 10:48 am
andmlemos reacted
(@hokitus89)

Hey! Thank you for the feedback, I really love and appreciate the commitment and time you invested here. 

Posted : 27/06/2023 8:47 am
andmlemos
(@andmlemos)

Posted by: @hokitus89

You bet! We will have news soonish heading into the start of the new NBA season.

Posted : 27/06/2023 9:51 am
(@roto-guru)
Topic starter

Great stuff Andre, looking forward to seeing what ideas will be implemented next season.

We're already 40% of the way through the fantasy offseason, can you believe it? It'll be October before you know it.

And can't wait to see @dbesbris join our inaugural Roto champions listener league 😉

Posted : 28/06/2023 9:32 pm
(@dbesbris)

@roto-guru haha oh god no more leagues!!!

Posted : 28/06/2023 10:18 pm
(@roto-guru)
Topic starter

@dbesbris I remember you saying a year or so ago that you found the sweet spot for number of leagues after over-committing one year. You definitely enter a lot of leagues.

If Andre gets something up and running next season like my proposal above, I'd be at a complete loss as to why you wouldn't jump at the chance to join a top-tier league that involves your very own listeners, subscribers and Ethos members. What better way to increase your audience and listener engagement?

Just cut back on one of your money-for-jam Yahoo public prize leagues and you're good to go, same with @bruski 😀 

This post was modified 9 months ago 2 times by Roto Guru

Posted : 28/06/2023 11:20 pm
(@roto-guru)
Topic starter

I just wanted to give a big shout out to @andmlemos for setting up the leagues for the upcoming season, and the proposed changes including Ultimate/Expert Leagues and additional prizes. Fantastic work Andre, looking forward to the new season.

Posted : 05/09/2023 12:52 am
andmlemos
(@andmlemos)

Posted by: @roto-guru

I just wanted to give a big shout out to @andmlemos for setting up the leagues for the upcoming season, and the proposed changes including Ultimate/Expert Leagues and additional prizes. Fantastic work Andre, looking forward to the new season.

Thank you! As always it is a team effort with Dan, Bru and Keith! We continue to work with the aim of providing you guys a top-notch product here at SportsEthos and also a space where you can find competitive leagues while trying to make them as enticing as possible, enjoy! 

Posted : 05/09/2023 3:52 am
Roto Guru reacted
Share: