October 23, 2023, 12:23 pm
In fantasy sports, patience is paramount, especially with players who possess talent that was showcased both in juniors and at the professional level. The problem with this is that it can start costing you a week or two when the margin for taking the edge on a matchup is razor thin. And thus, we scour the waiver wire for guys that are producing and on teams that present sustainable success paired with solid matchups for the week.
- Trevor Moore (LW) – owned in only 9% of Yahoo leagues, he’s already up to four goals and an assist on 14 shots. This week, the Kings get a double dip with Arizona and then host Vegas. Arizona has held teams to low goal totals, but LA has a deep lineup worth banking on.
- Reilly Greig (C) – Many questioned if he should be taking the 2nd line Center job, but he’s answered with 4 points on 10 shots while being a +5. He is flanked by Mathieu Joseph who was featured on last week’s list and Vladimir Tarasenko who are both playing really well. Greig isn’t on the power play which hurts, but his line is creating and their defense has helped out offensively which elevates their value. Even if they swap lines with Josh Norris’, it’s still obvious they have chemistry.
- Jesperi Kotkaniemi (C) – he was owned in 14% of Yahoo leagues last night and now it’s up to 19%. Better hop on this while he’s hot. He centers the 2nd line in a lethal Carolina offense and while he doesn’t get a ton of PP time, this is a rare team where it might not matter (7 points on 15 shots and 3 blocks)
- Alec Martinez (D) – an extra one here since defense and goalies will not get a ton of attention due to various factors, streaming for one. Not only are the matchups nice for Vegas this week, his pedigree is built on blocking shots. To boot, he’s already put up a goal and assist in two games since coming back from injury. He doesn’t see much PP time, but he still worth taking as he’s on the second pairing of a solid D group.
- Evander Kane (LW) – Owned in 69% of Yahoo leagues, his only value right now is with hits. He has one point on 11 shots and is a -6 already. He’s played on the top line with McDavid and Draisaitl but it still hasn’t turned things around. Now McDavid is out with an injury. I’m moving on and finding more productive and consistent players.
- Matty Beniers (C) – Still owned in 62% of Yahoo leagues, Beniers, like Kane, has one point on nine shots and sports a -8 on a Seattle team that is in the midst of a nightmarish start. This is another case of moving on and simply finding a player that is at least not a walking minus. There are plenty of options that offer more upside currently.
- Joonas Korpisalo (G) – In his last three starts he’s given up 10 goals in two. Not much else to analyze here, but it’s worth noting since he’s still on 80+% of Yahoo rosters. It could get better, but that’s not a stock I’m buying at the moment.
Add: William Karlsson (C) (25% owned), Mike Matheson (D) (35%) and Travis Sanheim (D) (8%)
Drop: Jake Debrusk (LW/RW) (62%), Dawson Mercer (C/RW) (45%)
Injury Notables: Burakovsky, McDavid, Drysdale, Vilardi, Guhle, Benson