Need help (keeper League)

8 Posts
3 Users
7 Likes
(@moglieone)
Member Customer
Topic starter

Heya,

I am in a keeper league, 10 teamer 9 cat h2h. The settings are; 4 keepers at the cost of a pick where they were drafted last season.

My team was (round taken):

Steph (1st)

Bam (2nd)

Vuc (2nd)

Rudy (3rd)

OG (5th)

JJJ (5th)

Haliburton (6th)

Scary T (7th)

Bane (14th)

+ another handful of pick ups and drops

I guess I have two questions,

First, is it best to take the 4 best available players? e.g. Steph, Bam, Rudy, Hali?

or

Do I look for the best value players? e.g. Bane, Hali?

Secondly, who would you recomend on keeping? My thoughts are Bane, Steph, Haliburton, Rozier. That also gives me a 2nd/3rd round pick at 20 and 30 (non snake) where I can still pick up a great talent.

Sorry for the long winded, specific post!

Posted : 04/10/2022 4:39 am
Dan Besbris reacted
(@rhett-bauer)
Hoop Baller

So if you can keep them at the cost of last year, can you keep them forever at that price and then draft for the rounds that you don't keep? So not keeping Steph means you have a first round pick, and Hali stays as your 6th round pick?

To me, Hali JJJ and Bane are must-keep moving forward. Those are just insane values.

Then you have to look around the league and try to figure out if there will be a player available in the first round better than Steph.

I doubt it, so adding Steph to Hali, JJJ and Bane while having picks in rounds 2 3 4 7 8 and so on can give you a really good team this year and moving forward. I'm somewhat concerned with JJJs health, and it will hurt for half this year and maybe 15-20 games most years, but the value and production at his age is too good to pass on.

Posted : 04/10/2022 2:58 pm
Matt Matawaran
(@matt-matawaran)

I think Hali and Bane are the "no-brainers." Steph is on the almost "no-brainer" list but, I would try and evaluate your league members' teams first to see if someone you may value slightly higher could pop up in the first round. If not, Steph is your guy. The 4th keep is a little trickier. Nothing wrong with Bam in the second but again, it boils down to who you think might be available. I guess that leads to your second thought of the no-brainers, almost no-brainer + the scary one. I certainly like that strategy better in that it leaves you much more flexibility in those earlier rounds. That's the way I'd lean.

Posted : 04/10/2022 3:13 pm
(@moglieone)
Member Customer
Topic starter

@rhett-bauer Thanks! Yes, that player will stay at that round forever which makes Hali SO INSANE!

I don't know the rest of the leagues keepers and therefore can't really rely on what they select, but my thought process is that they would likely keep their first rounder with the exception of maybe AD. However, I have the 10th pick and cannot see a stud falling to me at that spot (A player better than Steph) + Steph at 10 is pretty dang good!

I love JJJ, Absolutely love him, But I THINK I could potentially draft him at the 7th/8th/9th pick which would be CRAZY but risky. Is that worth the risk or is it better to play it safe?

Posted : 04/10/2022 3:31 pm
(@moglieone)
Member Customer
Topic starter

@meeztery Thanks, I can't honestly see a better 1st round pick at 10, even if another team chooses not to hold. I have the last pick and feel there is a drop off in talent then. Do you feel like Terry is the best value play left?

Posted : 04/10/2022 3:35 pm
Matt Matawaran
(@matt-matawaran)

@moglieone Ahhhhh...pick 10 is a Steph pick no doubt about it. As for Terry...he is going at the end of the 5th (from what I can see) in 10 teamers (so around pick 50) in Yahoo and around that if not slightly later in ESPN. Completely reasonable and probably even advisable to lock Terry down at what will amount to pick 70 in your 7th round. I'd go for it!

Posted : 04/10/2022 3:52 pm
moglieone reacted
(@moglieone)
Member Customer
Topic starter

@meeztery Over JJJ?

Posted : 04/10/2022 4:00 pm
Matt Matawaran
(@matt-matawaran)

@moglieone with the murky injury situation I myself (who happens to LOVE JJJ) would probably take a bit of a gamble and see if I could grab him in a round or even two (well three I guess since you'd have Rozier in the 7th). Then next year you're keeping him at an even greater discount. And if he gets grabbed by another squad, hope you play them early so they wont have JJJ active.

Posted : 04/10/2022 5:17 pm
moglieone reacted
Share: